Thursday, March 17, 2011

Be careful of undermining your presentation

Ragan Communication is a communication training and communication resource firm that offers a great deal of information on all matter of communication challenges. In their feed this morning there was a post about four crucial mistakes for corporate speech presentations by Angela Definis of Definis Communications. I think you will want to go to the link for the full discussion but her four major areas were:
1 -- Not appearing prepared to speak
2 -- Not keeping listeners' needs in mind (my favorite)
3 -- Not keeping with conventional etiquette
4 -- Not using a "speaker" tone (my least favorite)

Despite how I might feel about any of those blunders, she has extensive experience in coaching presentations and her summary is well written. It would be worth the read.

In all my Coker College communication courses I am afraid I preach Know Your Audience, which is why Number 2 is my favorite. Knowing your audience does not mean saying only what they want to hear -- it means knowing how to put your message into a frame they will understand. Often speakers use their personal perspective and ignore the audience perspective. When that happens it makes the entire presentation not worth the effort, expense and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment